Bay Area Z Association

A place for BayZA members to chill

Leaky T-tops and new exhaust

Ask technical questions, get technical answers.

Leaky T-tops and new exhaust

Postby gwailo_joe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:38 am

Hello fellow Yay-areans,

Newbie to this site, hope someone can advise. Have a 1991 2+2. Love it. Had it 3 years with no T-top leaks but this damn storm caused some kind of havoc and the drivers side leaks now (right onto the window and seat controls). . .is there special fluid, grease, polymer that I can use to stop it? Also, in the market for new exhaust system to replace stock. . .headers and cat-back all I need? Also want nice low tone not high whine. Recommendations? Thanks!
gwailo_joe

Re: Leaky T-tops and new exhaust

Postby tougedrifter » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:48 am

lol, slicktop would have none of the leaking problem lol xD but I have no idea what you need, maybe redo your seals? As for exhaust, if you looking for sound, HKS hipower sounds good and loud , but if you looking for less sound and stock look, i think Speciality Z would do.
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Postby oniham » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:47 pm

that sucks, the ttop mouldings aren't cheap either
I drop off but i also deliver!

oniham

Postby BigBear » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:39 pm

For the exhaust you'll need down pipes, test pipes (illegal here) or high flow cats, and a catback. Expect to spend $800-$2500 depending on what you get. I would just get a catback if i were you.
BigBear

Postby chicagozer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:09 pm

The moldings have a tendency to compressed and lose the seal; there's not much you can do about that without replacing them.

Make sure the drain holes aren't clogged. Hopefully that's the problem.
chicagozer

Postby tougedrifter » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

chicagozer wrote:The moldings have a tendency to compressed and lose the seal; there's not much you can do about that without replacing them.

Make sure the drain holes aren't clogged. Hopefully that's the problem.

I hella happy I dont have to worry about all that :D
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Postby BigBear » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:07 pm

tougedrifter wrote:I hella happy I dont have to worry about all that :D

Eh, from my experience they seals have been very good on the 3 Z's I've had. But go ahead and brag about having a slicktop. haha. I'll just come right back with, how many pounds of boost are you running in that light weight racing machine? None? Yeah that's what I thought. haha
BigBear

Postby riu » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 pm

BigBear wrote:For the exhaust you'll need down pipes, test pipes (illegal here) or high flow cats, and a catback. Expect to spend $800-$2500 depending on what you get. I would just get a catback if i were you.

he's got a 2+2 na.

you'll just need headers and catback.

i recommend whatever headers are out there, there isn't too much of a difference between them. either go with high flow cats, stock cats, gut the stocks, or straight pipe it back and weld the muffler back to it.

the Specialty Z exhaust, BnB, and LaBree exhausts are some of the most coveted and sound great on NA's fairly deep tone, but with a slight raspy european kinda sound, some like it some don't. these are two dual tips

If you want a larger fart cannon looking single tip, theres the HKS HiPower which are angled outward and are deep, the magnaflows are deep but a bit nasally in my opinion, and the greddy SP2 which are good looking and somewhere in between the two. There are other options but are far rarer.

If you are looking for really deep tone and nice looking pair of dual tips, go with Borla. they sound great but may be a little loud for some peoples tastes. ultimately my favorites from all i've seen and heard are the Labree and the Borla.

the t-top moulding seals just get that way... not much you can do, i sometimes leak sometimes don't, usually the latter. come summer i'm sure they will expand a little and you'll be water tight again.

an idea that i have had but never got around to testing the theory is using plasti-dip spray and spray a coat of rubber over the seals to thicken it up and hopefully let it seal. don't know if anyone has tried this or whether or not its a good idea at all.
Image.
riu

Postby BigBear » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:36 pm

riu wrote:he's got a 2+2 na.

you'll just need headers and catback.

Oh man, I Iooked to see if it was NA when I told him to just go for a catback and totally forgot to change the part about downpipes. Arg!
BigBear

Postby tougedrifter » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:07 pm

BigBear wrote:
tougedrifter wrote:I hella happy I dont have to worry about all that :D

Eh, from my experience they seals have been very good on the 3 Z's I've had. But go ahead and brag about having a slicktop. haha. I'll just come right back with, how many pounds of boost are you running in that light weight racing machine? None? Yeah that's what I thought. haha

lol brag? no, i wasnt bragging, i am happy that I dont have extra problems to worry about, and I am not going to race, I got over that idea, I am just going use my car for cruising for now, in the future, maybe I will swap the engine plus upgrade turbo, and then maybe I can answer your question lol
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Next

Return to Technical Garage