Bay Area Z Association

A place for BayZA members to chill

brakes messed up

Ask technical questions, get technical answers.

brakes messed up

Postby kaoticdemize » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:02 pm

was painting my calipers, was cleaning them and wiping and this ring (half a ring) about 4"-5" in diameter came out (i think it was off the brakes) and now my break pedal wont depress now, it does a little bit, brake lights come on, but not enough to take it out of park without the car running (my battery died and its in the garage and i need to roll it out to jump it)
Attachments
IMG_0670.JPG
kaoticdemize

Re: brakes messed up

Postby kaoticdemize » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 pm

actually i figured everything out except for if that piece is off my brakes or not. It looks similar to a snap ring except that it has no tension.
kaoticdemize

Postby tougedrifter » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:54 am

kaoticdemize wrote:was painting my calipers, was cleaning them and wiping and this ring (half a ring) about 4"-5" in diameter came out (i think it was off the brakes) and now my break pedal wont depress now, it does a little bit, brake lights come on, but not enough to take it out of park without the car running (my battery died and its in the garage and i need to roll it out to jump it)

I had no idea what ring is, but just wondering, did you bleed your brakes after putting everything back together? it is bad if you dont, and could be the reason why your brake wont depress, a lot of air bubbles. If you didn't bleed your brakes, You better do it soon, it can cost some problems and if I am right, can cost a lot of money. And if you want technical help, I think Ravi is the best person to ask, here is his contact info viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126, hope you fix it soon, I don't want to see a pile up on the freeway because your brakes fail lol gl xD
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Postby kaoticdemize » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:47 am

i didn't take anything apart i left everything on except for the wheels, my brakes not depressing was my stupidity and i figured it out :) im just worried about that piece lol. My brakes have always been a little stiff tho so maybe i should have them bled anyways lol. And yeah i know ravi i have had some work done by him, but i have been trying to contact him for 2 weeks and no response.
kaoticdemize

Postby oniham » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:44 pm

it looks like a hub ring to me?
I drop off but i also deliver!

oniham

Postby kaoticdemize » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:19 pm

if it were a hub ring how important would it be? lol i drove up bearcreek this weekend and everything seemed fine so im hoping its nothing lol
kaoticdemize

Postby oniham » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:44 pm

i really dont think they are that important they are supposed to help keep the wheel centered when you are putting them back on IIRC
I drop off but i also deliver!

oniham

Postby RevTech » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:15 pm

That ring looks like it came off the center cap of an aftermarket wheel. Also looks like a part of it has broken also. Does the center cap still snap in place like the rest of the wheels or deos it feel loose?
I doubt its a hubcentric ring because it looks too thin to be one.
kaoticdemize wrote:was painting my calipers, was cleaning them and wiping and this ring (half a ring) about 4"-5" in diameter came out (i think it was off the brakes) and now my break pedal wont depress now, it does a little bit, brake lights come on, but not enough to take it out of park without the car running (my battery died and its in the garage and i need to roll it out to jump it)
RevTech

Return to Technical Garage