Bay Area Z Association

A place for BayZA members to chill

Speedo and p/s problem

Ask technical questions, get technical answers.

Speedo and p/s problem

Postby asdad » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:29 pm

So my speedometer and power steering died the other day, coincidentally during/right after I installed my new Z1 SMICs...but I'm sure that's completely unrelated.
Anyways, I replaced the speed sensor...and it still is not working. So that was a waste of $200. Now I have the gauge cluster out and all taken apart and can't seem to find anything wrong!
All the solder points seem to check out, although I am no expert. Anyone have any ideas? We checked and the speed sensor is getting a signal to the rear of the cluster...then it dies somewhere inside. Any ideas or help? This seems so random that something inside the cluster would just die like that one day, as I wasn't working anywhere near it when it died.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt

UPDATE:
Well, I tried swapping a N/A speedo into my cluster, doesn't physically fit but to see if it's actually the speedo itself I decided to hook it all up and see anyway. Still doesn't work.
So I tried swapping the little odometer motor from the N/A cluster to my cluster, as that's where the signal originates, then goes to the speedo, and still no luck. I'm running out of ideas =(
asdad

Re: Speedo and p/s problem

Postby TheOrteganator » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:40 pm

Only thing I can think of is just replace the whole cluster to make sure you get the problem this time. I've seen a few parts cars on craigslist lately.
TheOrteganator

Postby jb.michael » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:55 pm

Hey, any luck with it??
jb.michael

Postby asdad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, after waiting over a week for a new TT speedo to come from Nissan (back-ordered) I popped in to find out....IT STILL DOES NOT WORK!
WTF! I have now spend $200+ on a speed sensor for no reason and now $330+ on a useless new speedo, which I cannot even return. I am unbelievably frustrated. How come everyone is lucky enough to replace one of the two and get off Scott free when I get all this shit to deal with! Life isn't fair...
Anyone have any ideas? Of course no one seems to have any 92+ TT clusters for sale on CL/TT.net/ebay when I need one...FML.
asdad

Postby darkdrifter04 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:31 pm

time to ask ravi
lol
darkdrifter04

Postby jb.michael » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:29 pm

sorry dude. :( call up ravi.
jb.michael

Postby RevTech » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Any luck finding what happened?
RevTech

Postby asdad » Mon May 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Well, 2 months, two shops and one dealer later I finally have my z back up and running!
Too bad I'm starting the process of selling it now =( I really hate to do it..
Anyways, one shop gave up, the dealer had it for 2 weeks saying "we'll look at it tommorrow" and it never left it's parking spot, so picked it up
and took it to my boss's buddy who owns a local garage. After a week of it being there, he ended up running a new line from the speed sensor all the way to the gauge cluster, and bam it worked. Doesn't make much sense because two garages and myself included thought we tested the speed signal at the back of the cluster and it was there...what the heck were we testing then?
Anyways, atleast my baby is back. While it was down I also replaced all the speakers with some nice pioneers and dynamatted the entire interior! Boy, it sounds 10 years newer! Best audio system I have ever owned, (JVC headunit, alpine amp 5 channel 500watt, pioneer speakers, bazooka tube, not too loud but super clean sounding!) better accoustics inside as well as less road noise, better bass response and no more rattles! I reccommend the dynamat extreme trunk kit (20 sq feet) to everyone. It had JUST enough to do the whole trunk, below the cargo tray, wheel wells, and front doors. Bought it off ebay for $90 shipped.
Anyways, a happy ending to a VERY LONG story haha. In the end cost me $85 in used useless clusters, $200 for a speed sensor, $350 for a speedo, and $420 for diagnostics and a new lead. Gotta love the z.
asdad

Postby darkdrifter04 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:51 pm

damn lol dude no wonder i never see your Z at school anymore lol i thought you like transferred or something LOL.
what happened to the new turbos?
darkdrifter04

Postby asdad » Mon May 11, 2009 12:51 pm

darkdrifter04 wrote:damn lol dude no wonder i never see your Z at school anymore lol i thought you like transferred or something LOL.
what happened to the new turbos?

New turbos are still sitting in my garage along with the AMZ downpipes.
But it looks like I won't ever see them installed, for I just sold my z to my dad lol
I took out a loan and bought a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI with 25,000 miles and a 100,000 mile extended bumper to bumper warranty. I got it for a price I couldn't pass up. Color is Steel gray mettalic and it has bronze rota torques, 17x8 along with a downpipe and soon to be stage 2.
I must say though, the STI is nowhere near the cool factor or performance that my z was. My z handled like it was on rails, the STI can't touch it.
Oh well, a little time and a little money will fix this problem =)
I will always be a Z guy at heart though... =( and I am confident I will own another one in the not so distant future. I just need a more practical AWD vehicle at the moment.. I'm moving to canada in the fall!
asdad

Next

Return to Technical Garage