Bay Area Z Association

A place for BayZA members to chill

Ebay Disco Tail lights (curses)

Ask technical questions, get technical answers.

Ebay Disco Tail lights (curses)

Postby gwailo_joe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:59 am

Greetings People of the Z

Check it out: the other day driving a few friends home from the bar (in my '91 2+2), backing out from a tight spot i smacked my taillights right into some 4by4s pointy ass bumper: 'Crack Crack!' both my rear lenses cracked. Damn. But hey! Always liked that JDM clear look, got online to shop it out. What?! 400+ bucks for some clear pieces of plastic. . .come on now, gotta look for a better deal. . .Hey look, Ebay has a pair for two hundred. . .I buy. Today I receive. Lord what have I done. . .JDM they say. HA! JDM?!?!: Jacked Disco Mechanisems I say. . .wow, it is some bright ass plastic indeed. So what do I do? Put it on? I know the Z G's will mock me. Try to sell? Who the hell will buy my mistake? Honestly friends, I dont really care so so much: the car is old and so am I: I have custom hilarious decals to make the car go faster anyway. . .But I just dont want some new guy to make the mistake I made. . .the real deal JDM looks so nice in comparison: at this point I guess I'm just too cheap. But I did order K/N intake, generic headers and Specialty Z big res H pipe with twin roundy exhaust: so I hope THAT will give the old girl some more bounce to the ounce. . .Had to vent (so to speak). . .Thanks
gwailo_joe

Re: Ebay Disco Tail lights (curses)

Postby riu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:27 am

a picture is worth a thousand words.

your story was all over the place and i'm not even sure what you were trying to say.
Image.
riu

Postby tougedrifter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 am

riu wrote:a picture is worth a thousand words.

your story was all over the place and i'm not even sure what you were trying to say.

I think he meant he bought this

and the real one suppose to look like this

overall, ebay suck!
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Postby gwailo_joe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 am

Yeah: that pic is right on the money. . .let the buyer beware! and drank too much in Japan town last night, thus the tangled post :?
gwailo_joe

Postby riu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:36 pm

they look kinda weird... but they don't look terrible
Image.
riu

Postby tougedrifter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:56 pm

yeah i will put it on if i were u, or try to find someone and trade their oem tail light and do a dyi if you want. http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/293292 i done something similar to my civic, wasn't too hard
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Postby riu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:17 am

most DIY fake specs don't look right. most people don't do the right clear lens, or they don't pin stripe, or they don't do the chrome housing. personally I like what I did to my lights more than pretty much all the lights i've seen out there, i just need to do it again since mine are cracked from getting rear ended, and get some LED's for it instead of the regular bulbs.
Image.
riu

Postby gwailo_joe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Right on. Thanks for the DIY light link: using the stove looks OK (I heard hot water works too), but he gives no time/temp. for cooking the lights, I'm thinking low and slow: like ribs! But I think I'd just make a mess of things. I'll put on the disco lights, they still looks funny. . .but when life gives you lemons etc.
gwailo_joe

Postby riu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:10 am

i think i did mine at around 300 degrees, takes about 10 or so minutes of heating... but keep watch of it. i overcooked one of them when i first did them. heat gun also works. i suppose you can have a big thing of boiling water that you can just submerge the light in, but at the same time you're going to want to completely dry out every bit of that light before reassembling it.
Image.
riu

Postby RevTech » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm curious to see this in person. Could'n't be as bad as the ferrari tails.
RevTech

Next

Return to Technical Garage