Bay Area Z Association

A place for BayZA members to chill

stupid Rx-7

Ask technical questions, get technical answers.

Re: stupid Rx-7

Postby jb.michael » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm

now i want one :(
jb.michael

Postby rockyz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 pm

darkdrifter04 wrote:damn rocky ur car looks pretty ghetto and old, but something about it makes it sick as hell...lol

Well the car is older than me, so it's got history. As for the ghetto part, I think all Rx7's need to be a little "ghetto" with the quick zip-tie fixes and such. The base model was meant to be the lightest model out of them all and they were meant for abuse and that's what this car is for. There is no BS with this car. Anything going into this car is gonna either make it go faster or keep it going fast(at least in the corners.)

This car does have character. There is just something about driving a 2 door, 2 seat car with no interior, no sound-deadening, no A/C, and no powersteering. The exhaust is obnoxious and the ride is harsh. With all the suspension mods I put into the car and the sticky tires, running the touge on this thing just seems too easy. My old 7 had much more character with it's 400+K chassis, blown engine, bald low profile tires, and near stock suspension (only had KYB struts and RB springs.) I remembered learning to drive in that car. Whenever I pitch the car too hard into a corner I would lose control and have to get it back in control again. With this car, it just goes the direction I point it to.

Can't wait to get this thing running again so I can run Tony on Redwood. I'll film it.
rockyz

Postby rockyz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:44 pm

So I actually picked up my Hane's FSM and read up on everything I need to do. It's just a matter of a few bolts but I hate not having the tools I need :( I'm missing a few sockets here and there and a few wrenches here and there. Took out all the belts connecting to the waterpump and even took out my battery so I can get my radiator out. The Rx-7 driver in me wanted to just pull a radiator hose and let it spill all over the place to drain, but then the sane and more classy self told me to just do it properly. Since it was getting dark, I decided to do the draining and rad removal tomorrow. Took out my crappy BOSCH alternator (converting to FD alternator), and I realized how much gunk there was in my engine bay. It was quite disgusting and knowing that I'd need to work on the car even more in the next few weeks I decided to spray it down with some engine-brite gunk remover. Left it there for a while and then applied some home-made chemical gunk remover my friend mixed (supposed to be like close to acid), and then started scrubbing. The engine bay is definitely a lot cleaner but there is still some stubborn gunk that I'd need to clean some other time. The waterpump should take maybe like 10 minutes to replace but since I have everything taken out I decided to put some upgrades in the car.

Here is what's going to happen to the car in the next month or so before it's back in running order:
-new waterpump
-FD alternator kit
-Underdrive Pulleys (set)
-Koyo Radiator w/ brand new hoses
-e-fan
-water temp gauge
-A/C condenser removal
-new clamps
-TPS-readjust/Timing-readjust
-Clean air filter

And whatever else I feel like doing along the way. The FC needed a tune-up anyways, I've been wanting to take it to an Auto-X event.
rockyz

Postby BigBear » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:55 pm

Woooo! Get it up and running asap. I can't wait till I can have a fun car like that, not that the Z isn't fun, but they're completely different.
BigBear

Postby rockyz » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Yah, the two cars are definitely different. I don't know why, but I find sitting in my Rx-7 very comfortable. It's very spacious (and I'm not small) as a two-seater should be and I sit at a very comfortable height. I can see over the dash fine and besides the side pillars there is almost no blindspots. I wouldn't suggest anyone drive these things as daily drivers because of reliability(or lack of).
When driving the Z I feel like the car is extremely scary. I've driven both the 300 and 350Z's and it feels like I can only look forward. I also feel pretty disconnected from the road. But 300Z's are pretty fast. I'd never be able to keep up with a 300ZX and probably not even my Highlander on the freeway. Maybe when I get the cash to swap my engine for something rebuilt or faster :P
rockyz

Postby oniham » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:16 am

That is the thing about the Z, you dont feel connected to the road at all. Sell the car, buy E36 m3 =D. They are getting somewhat cheap now
I drop off but i also deliver!

oniham

Postby rockyz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 pm

The only M3 I'd get would be the E46 when I make the big bucks.
rockyz

Postby darkdrifter04 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:19 pm

ya kbb says around 10k for the e36's...i love the e46 but i just can't imagine myself in one, probably cause i'm too small and i'm too young lol. i still need to test drive a Z, and the things in that price range to see how much i truly love it. what other cars are in this price range now that are decently reliable, look good, and drive well? i need to test drive everything and compare before spending that much money on a car lol
darkdrifter04

Postby riu » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:17 am

rockyz wrote:When driving the Z I feel like the car is extremely scary.

seems like rocky can't handle true power.

darkdrifter04 wrote:ya kbb says around 10k for the e36's...i love the e46 but i just can't imagine myself in one, probably cause i'm too small and i'm too young lol. i still need to test drive a Z, and the things in that price range to see how much i truly love it. what other cars are in this price range now that are decently reliable, look good, and drive well? i need to test drive everything and compare before spending that much money on a car lol

Theres a lot of good cars in your price range. Check out these vids.

http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20090331

http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20090303

I wasn't a fan of the C5 vettes for a long time and i still think they are bland, and too generic looking for a sports car, looks like a 5 year old was told to design a sports car and the C5 came to be. But I can't deny that it is an amazing car, and I am at times tempted to purchase one just because they are so damn cheap. 10k for a base C5, 18k for a Z06, its a steal!

The B5 gen Audi S4 is a pretty damn good car too, my friend is selling his for $10k right now and its got some decent mods to it already.

Personally I would choose a Z32 if you want the style and a good cruiser. A E36 for the class + sporting + douchebag image. C5 Vette for the power. or a 2.5rs Impreza for just good driving fun.
Image.
riu

Postby jb.michael » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 am

My friend has a 2.5rs and I take every chance i can get to drive it, super fun, but also really slow.
jb.michael

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Garage