Bay Area Z Association

A place for BayZA members to chill

steering problem

Ask technical questions, get technical answers.

steering problem

Postby tougedrifter » Wed May 27, 2009 9:22 pm

I drove my Z today on highway 35 and La honda, and there wasn't a problem until I get near my house, all in a sudden I have a hard time steering my Z, the steering felt like as if I am trying to turn while the car isn't on. I check the power steering fluid (or what i think it is) and it was on C, and it isn't black. so I have no idea whats wrong with it. Also I lowered my car about 1 more inch in the front if that matters.
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Re: steering problem

Postby tougedrifter » Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 pm

well, after i consult with few ppls, seems like powersteering problem, so i decided to remove the whole thing all @ once. Anyone know how to do it? or DIY? thanks
Image 1992 slicktop!
tougedrifter

Postby riu » Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 am

... if you remove your powersteering... the problem won't go away... it'll only be normal to have no powersteering. and honestly, your arms are too skinny to steer the Z without power steering.

remember, the Z doesn't use powersteering fluid, it uses automatic tranny fluid for the powersteering. also make sure your serpentine belt is tight and theres tension. as well as the hard line that runs along the lower radiator support, that is a power steering line.
Image.
riu

Postby darkdrifter04 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:48 am

did you have it lowered when you ran on la honda? you sure its' not cause ur car is too low to turn
darkdrifter04

Postby riu » Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 pm

... i don't understand this too low to turn concept...

chris i think you need to understand how simple mechanics and physics work before you make a statement like that.
Image.
riu

Postby darkdrifter04 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:35 pm

if your too low cant the sidewalls of your tires hit the inside of the fender when u try to turn? thats what i was talkin about, dunno if its possible or not since i have no experience with lowered cars lol
darkdrifter04

Postby riu » Fri May 29, 2009 12:44 am

your shit has to be pretty tucked to do that, and with the Z that means lowering it at least 8 inches for it to even remotely cause a problem. at that point your bumper is probably already scraping the ground.

besides, a wheel is ROUND, meaning the tallest point is a small point at the top and it tapers off in a CIRCULAR shape, at which point it won't be likely that it would hit the fender wall unless you got like 3 inches of the wheel tucked in completely.

regardless, that doesn't affect powersteering AT ALL, that just means you can't turn the wheel any further without hitting something.

pa, do you hear the powersteering pump working at all when you turn the wheel? or is it just dead?
Image.
riu

Postby SCauntay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:10 pm

i would think that your speed sensor is going out. does the speedo tweek out sometimes, or does the cruise control kick off by itself when using it? lowering the car shouldn't make it harder to steer. having the fenders tucked won't do anything either, unless your tires rub.
SCauntay

Postby BigBear » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Holy four month old thread batman
BigBear

Postby riu » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:38 pm

being that I own that car now, i have to say it is a bit of a challenge to drive it with no power steering, but its not terrible. at least its a slicktop and not a full weight Z32. I'm pretty used to driving cars that are sub 2700 lbs with no powersteering, well i'm pretty used to driving E30's with no powersteering i should say since all of my friends are getting e30's now. I think i like driving the slicktop with now powersteering, i'll probably like it a bit more when i gut some weight out of it too. That will be a while since the motor blew right after Pa gave me the car.
Image.
riu

Next

Return to Technical Garage