Bay Area Z Association

A place for BayZA members to chill

Too much boost

Ask technical questions, get technical answers.

Too much boost

Postby chicagozer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:46 am

I got one of those nifty boost controllers (Blitz i-Color Spec-R) for Christmas and I've been trying to get it set up. As far as I know all the hoses look right. I took out the boost jets and patched into the factory wastegate actuator lines so the stock solenoids are still there, just disconnected.

The odd thing is that it acts like the wastegates are stuck closed. I'm consistently getting 16psi but I have the limit set to 11. Even with the boost controller turned off, it's boosting @ 15+ psi. This doesn't seem right because it should be at safety boost levels around 7psi.

I'm now thinking maybe the lines to the actuator are plugged? I did a boost leak test and didn't see/hear anything significant. I guess I'll try running the hoses directly to the actuators but that looks like a real bitch getting those hose clamps on and off.

Any ideas from the pros?
chicagozer

Re: Too much boost

Postby chicagozer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:52 pm

So I connected my air compressor to the waste gate lines and blew about 20psi to each. I got under the car and watched the arms open/close a few times when I was giving the line some air. Then I connected the compressor to the T and watched them open/close in tandem.

Went out for a quick run and everything works flawlessly now. I get 7psi when the boost controller is off (safety boost as expected) and when it's on, it dials right in.

I have no idea why it started working. Maybe I had a pinch in one of the hoses or maybe one of the waste gates was stuck and I popped it open with the air compressor.
chicagozer

Postby RevTech » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Did you replace the hose all the way from the actuator nipple to the boost controller solenoid?
I say this because some Z's have stock boost jets at both ends of the wastegate hose. Usually one right before the actuator and one near the hardpipe nipple for the throttle.
Some Z's seem to only have one near the actuator.

Thats a nice boost controller btw
RevTech

Postby chicagozer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:35 pm

RevTech wrote:Did you replace the hose all the way from the actuator nipple to the boost controller solenoid?
I say this because some Z's have stock boost jets at both ends of the wastegate hose. Usually one right before the actuator and one near the hardpipe nipple for the throttle.
Some Z's seem to only have one near the actuator.

Thats a nice boost controller btw

I looked at running new hose all the way to the actuator. I couldn't see an easy way to do it without yanking out tons and tons of crap. So for now I just have them coupled to the existing hose. Is there an easier way to connect new hoses? I could barely see the clamps from underneath - it looked nearly impossible to get them off without some sort of 12 inch needle nose pliers.

I found and removed two boost jets from the hoses connected to the intercooler nipples. It could certainly have another two at the other end.

Now that I've had some time to think about it, I suspect my overboost problem was related to not disconnecting the factory solenoids. I was trying to be smart and disconnect the wire from the ECU side, but I cut the wrong one. duh. Now I have the solenoids unplugged which I should have done the first time.
chicagozer

Postby RevTech » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Late reply but the drivers side is easier from the top with the hood open. The passengers side is easier from the bottom of the car.
Its a pain regardless.
RevTech

Return to Technical Garage